Sunday, September 18, 2011

DIY Baked Goods/Cake Stand











I'm so proud of myself for accomplishing this next craft. Recently, I got the inspiration from a post that was made on Pinterest (my new favorite website! http://pinterest.com/) Pinterest is a "virtual pinboard." A place to let you organize and collect pins that can relate to your style like DIY crafts, wedding ideas, remodeling ideas, yummy recipes or favorite quotes. In my mind, it's like a collage of a persons favorite things.


Anyways, I saw the photo on Pinterest and I noticed that someone was making a cake stand out of terra cotta pots (you know...those ridiculously bright orange pots you see at the hardware store!?)

I quickly reminded myself of the stash of terra cotta pots that were in my hallway closet. They had been sitting there for almost 7 months now. I had originally used them to hold birdseed and candles for a dinner party at work, but now they were just collecting dust.

So after I made a trip into town to collect some heavy-duty "gorilla-glue" and a can of spray paint, I was on my merry way to completing this craft. And I must say, now that I've accomplished what I originally set out to-do, it feels great! So great that it makes me want to bake a cake and use it!



Supplies:
1 small to medium 4-8 inch terra cotta pot
1 large12-18 inch terra cotta saucer
Ceramic glue (can be found at a hardware or craft store)
Spray Paint
Newspaper
Wet Sponge
Pencil
A sturdy, but heavy object(s) about 5-10lbs.

Directions:
1. Center the base of the terra cotta pot onto the bottom base of the terra cotta saucer. Take a pencil and draw a circle around the pot, in order to mark it's original place.
2. Take a wet sponge and dampen the area inside the circle you drew. This is the area that you will apply the glue.
3. Be sure to follow the glue manufacturers instructions. Place the glue on the dampen area. Do not over glue (otherwise the glue might expand or leave unwanted drips!)
4. Carefully place the base of the terra cotta pot onto the glue. Apply pressure to the pot and saucer by placing a heavy object on top (i.e. a stack of books, 5 lbs. of sugar, etc.)
5. Let the glue dry for 2 -3 hours.
6. Place a layer of newspaper onto the floor, in order to protect the ground from getting any paint on it.
7. Carefully spray paint (with a color of your choice). Tip: I sprayed the top first, than I let it dry for an hour. Then I turned it over and sprayed the bottom and waited another hour.
8. Repeat step 7 and place a second coat of paint onto the terra cotta. Let it dry for another hour.
9. The End!!

No comments:

Post a Comment