Friday, September 16, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent....for $0.01 per load!

For the first time in my life, I made my own laundry detergent. IT...WAS...AWESOME. Who knew that making your own laundry detergent could be so easy and cheap!? And when I mean cheap, I don't mean some half-assed batch made with harmful, toxic chemicals. In fact I made eco-friendly natural laundry detergent for about $0.01 per load. Now in all honesty, I'm a single woman. Therefore my loads aren't as large as a family of three or four, but you get the picture. Right? Nonetheless this project was considered to be a great success and the perfect way to fill the void of a quiet evening.

Enjoy the recipe!




















Ingredients:
  • 1 bar of soap, grated (I used a honey and oatmeal bar purchased from my local co-op)
  • 1 gallon of warm water
  • 1/2 cup Natural Borax
  • 1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Natural Washing Soda
  • 1 gallon of cold water
  • 1 Household kitchen grater
  • 1 funnel
  • 2 empty gallon jugs
Recipe:
  1. Using a household kitchen grater, grate the entire bar of soap.
  2. Place the grated soap and one gallon of warm water into a large pot (big enough to hold two gallons.)
  3. Heat the soap and water mixture over medium-high heat, until the soap is dissolved (3-5 minutes). Do not boil.
  4. Add a 1/2 cup of Natural Borax and a 1/2 cup of Arm & Hammer Natural Washing Soda.
  5. Heat the mixture over high heat, until it boils. Once it starts to boil, the mixture should become a bit thicker and enough to leave a thick coat on a spoon.
  6. Remove mixture from heat and add one gallon of cold water.
  7. Let the mixture cool for 15 minutes.
  8. Using a funnel, pour the liquid detergent into 2 empty gallon jugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment